Dr. Selva Selvaratnam, CTO of HID Global, a global developer of secure identity solutions, unveiled 10 key trends that will have the greatest impact on the secure identity industry in 2014.
The trends encompass a diverse range of solutions and technologies, including anticipated advances in physical and logical access control, secure issuance, identity assurance, visitor management, electronic ID (eID) and secure asset tracking.
The top 10 key secure identity trends include:
1) The security industry is quickly moving beyond static, proprietary access control architectures to more secure, open and adaptable solutions, supporting the customers’ desire for new products and technologies that enable their business.
2) Integrating physical access control with IT security will bring new benefits while changing how organizations operate.
3) Strong authentication will continue to grow in importance in the face of a rapidly changing IT security threat environment – and will also move to the door and include other factors such as biometrics and gestures.
4) Strong authentication will increasingly be implemented using a multi-layered security strategy.
5) Mobile access control will continue to roll out in stages and use various wireless technologies.
6) We will enter a new era of NFC authentication services, using trusted tags to establish unique identities for many items in many public places, and to later verify their authenticity using contactless readers or any NFC-enabled smartphone or tablet.
7) The migration of intelligence to the door will continue with the further adoption of IP architectures and future capabilities of smartphones for access control.
8) Printing and encoding advancements will simplify card personalization. The market will increasingly see faster printing and encoding solutions, more durable card materials, and solutions that enable “anywhere/anytime” distributed issuance capabilities.
9) Visitor management systems will continue to move beyond the businesses to schools, hospitals and other institutions where high-profile incidents have proven that safety and security shouldn’t be left to paper logs.
10) There will be accelerating worldwide adoption of multi-purpose electronic ID (eID) credentials.
Dr. Selva Selvaratnam | CTO of HID Global
HID Global is the trusted leader in solutions for the delivery of secure identity solutions for millions of customers around the world and is committed to enhancing customer value by delivering the most trusted, advanced and dependable secure identity solutions in the market.
Recognized for robust quality, innovative designs and industry leadership, HID Global is focused on creating customer value and is the supplier of choice for a variety of markets that include physical access control; logical access control including strong authentication and credential management; card printing and personalization; highly secure government ID; and identification technologies used in animal ID, industry and logistics applications. HID Global is an ASSA ABLOY Group brand.