Tripwire announced the results of research on the state of risk-based security management with the Ponemon Institute.
Key findings include:
• 75% of respondents say metrics are “important” or “very important” to a risk-based security program
• 53% don’t believe or are unsure that the security metrics used in their organizations are properly aligned with business objectives
• 51% didn’t believe or were unsure that their organizations’ metrics adequately convey the effectiveness of security risk management efforts to senior executives.
When asked, “Why don’t you create metrics that are well understood by senior executives?”
• 59% said the information is too technical to be understood by non-technical management
• 48% said pressing issues take precedent
• 40% said they only communicate with executives when there is an actual security incident
• 35% said it takes too much time and resources to prepare and report metrics to senior executives
• 18% said senior executives are not interested in the information.