60% Of Mid-sized Indian Firms Faced 2021 Data Breach, Expert Reaction

By   ISBuzz Team
Writer , Information Security Buzz | Mar 15, 2022 03:51 am PST

The Tribune (India) is reporting Over 60% of mid-sized Indian firms faced data breach in 2021.

According to a survey released today by Cyber Security firm Sophos, over 60% of mid-sized businesses reported experiencing a data breach in 2021. Nineteen percent of companies discovered the attack within two weeks, but for fully 22 per cent, it took three to four weeks to discover the attack. 40% of them reported only learning of the attack from outside sources or on finding their data leaked online.


While half of the respondents said they had discovered the attack when they were unable to access data or systems (21 per cent overall) or were contacted by the attackers (19 per cent), a significant 40 per cent of them only realized they’d been targeted when they found their company data exposed online or were notified by customers or the media.

Almost a quarter (23 per cent) of victim organizations said it took more than a month for the organization to recover from the impact of the attack.

Notify of
1 Expert Comment
Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Rajiv Pimplaskar
March 15, 2022 11:51 am

Secure access across 3rd party partner connections is a significant challenge for most enterprises and Governments alike. Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) and offshoring trends along with the growing dependence on public cloud and SaaS has drastically eroded control on part of corporate IT. Even most zero trust strategies stop at the network and cannot protect against sophisticated threat actors who are able to identify, and intercept sensitive data for replay attacks or future analysis. IT organizations need to implement enhanced next generation VPN and ZTNA capabilities to protect sensitive 3rd party connections even within potentially hostile or unfriendly access environments to safeguard sensitive corporate users and data from new and emerging threat actors.

Last edited 2 years ago by Rajiv Pimplaskar

Recent Posts

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x