Findings of Research Show Frequency and Severity of Audits Lower Than Previously Reported
Express Metrix, a leading provider of IT and software asset management solutions, released the findings of its inaugural yearly benchmarking of the software audit experiences of end-user organizations that have undergone software audits over the past two years. The 2013 Software Audit Industry Report* provides insight into the occurrence and impact of software publisher and industry trade group audits across the marketplace, providing valuable information for organizations seeking to understand their own audit risk and the potential repercussions. The report can be found here: http://www.expressmetrix.com/resources/software-audit-report/
The findings show the percentage of companies that report having been audited over the past 12 months is 27% lower than reported in other industry research. Express Metrix research found that 53% of companies surveyed had been audited during the past two years while 38% of the same respondents had been audited in the last 12 months. The majority of respondents rate their understanding of their organizations’ license agreements as “decent” or “very strong” and believe they would fare well or reasonably well in the event of an audit.
“The purpose of Express Metrix’s yearly Software Audit Industry Report is to develop a true benchmark of software audit rates, the impacts that software audit activities have upon the organizations that are targeted, and the top challenges organizations face in their efforts to stay compliant,” said Kris Barker, CEO of Express Metrix. “This allows organizations to gauge their own audit risk, anticipate the potential repercussions and adjust their own license management practices accordingly.”
Other findings include:
– Participant’s perceived risk of being audited (42%) is remarkably close to the actual frequency of audits that took place over the last 12 months (38%).
– 43% of respondents report owing no money to their software vendor at the conclusion of the audit. Of those organizations that did owe money, most owed $50,000-$250,000.
– The top five ISVs most likely to audit organizations in the last two years are, respectively: 1) Microsoft 2) Adobe 3) AutoDesk 4) Oracle 5) SAP.
– More than two-thirds of organizations report they modified their approach to IT asset management at the conclusion of their audits.
For complete report findings, go to: http://www.expressmetrix.com/resources/software-audit-report/
For more information about Express Metrix Software Manager, go to http://www.expressmetrix.com/products/.
About Express Metrix
Express Metrix, a veteran in the IT asset management space for over a decade, focuses on serving organizations whose needs for accurate, comprehensive IT asset reporting and trouble-free management aren’t met by enterprise-oriented framework products or less sophisticated inventory tools. Express Metrix recently welcomed its 5,000th customer, having earned a reputation for delivering superior IT asset reporting, ease of deployment and use, and outstanding customer support. Winner of the SIIA’s 2008 CODiE Award for “Best Asset Management Solution,” Express Metrix is a Microsoft Certified partner and is certified Citrix Ready. More information on Express Metrix can be found at http://www.expressmetrix.com.
* For the report, Express Metrix conducted a survey across a random sample of 178 information technology (IT) professionals employed at a wide range of organizations across North America, both in the U.S. and Canada. Survey respondents come from organizations ranging from 500 to more than 10,000 employees and are responsible for managing software licenses and/or compliance.