In a new report “Characterizing Malicious URL Campaigns”, researchers analyzed a data set of 311 M records containing 77 M URLs that had been submitted to the online virus checking website VirusTotal between December 2019 and January 2020. Key findings:
- 17M unique pieces of content were flagged
- Attacks seem rampant in the United States
- 98.27% of all flagged submissions were detected by less than 10 vendors
- Majority of submissions were automated, with a large % from a select few vendors
- 58.98% of submissions were unflagged
- 98.27% (125.6M) of all flagged submissions were detected by 10 or fewer vendors.
- Detection rates fell to just 13.27% when campaigns used more than 100 unique URLs