Ireland is one of the top European online festive spenders. And now with Christmas fast-approaching, and all the attendant gifts that shoppers will be purchasing over the next few weeks, a great deal of spending will be occurring online for the immediate future.
Featured Download: Social media access at work. Do your employees know the rules?
This is why ESET Ireland is offering you a few tips to make your Christmas online shopping a safe and enjoyable experience.
Top Tips For Safe Online Christmas Shopping
These tips are purely from a security standpoint; the threat it poses to your personal budget is a whole other issue.
1. Research. If you want to buy something from a less known website, spend five minutes Googling them. If they aren’t legitimate, you will quickly that find out.
2. Third party sellers. Websites like Amazon and eBay allow third-party users to set up “shops.” If you intend to buy from one, check their rating and what users are saying about them.
3. Secure Payments. Be sure to look for the padlock and https:// in the address bar. These are indicators of a secure webpage, meaning that your payment details will be transmitted securely, like this:
4. Payment detail storage. Some websites will ask if you want to store your payment details, whiles others will require you to consciously opt out of having them stored. Whilst it is very convenient to have your payment information stored if you frequently use a website, it potentially places your details in danger.
5. Payment method. Most websites will require your credit card in order for you to complete your purchase. However, in most cases you could also use PayPal or WorldPay. This can provide an extra layer of protection between the world and your actual bank details.
P.S. Just one more thing
As a kind of postscript, be sure to keep an eye on your bank statements. Be on the lookout for small “under the radar” payments or possible overpayments that could indicate that your card has been compromised. If you do notice anything, be sure to report it ASAP to your bank.
Make sure that an online payment fiasco doesn’t ruin your Christmas!
About ESET Ireland
ESET Ireland will keep your hardware and software performing as it should. The company has hundreds of people around the world working hard every day so customers’ computers, tablets, smartphones and servers are properly protected. All with minimal impact on their performance.